Watch comes from a Greek word which means I am awake in the night; I am on the alert and vigilant. It is so easy to get caught up in the things of this world, and our focus begins to shift away from God. This is why it is so important to do as Jesus did in Mark 1:35, “And rising very early in the morning, while it was still dark, He (Jesus) departed and went out to a desolate place, and there he prayed.” If Jesus spent time in a desolate (solitary place) to pray, should we not do the same thing?
The time and length of our “quiet time” is not the important thing. The important thing is to have a time when your full attention can be given to God to allow us to hear Him speaking to Him and for us to speak to Him through prayer. Many people use the excuse of “I don’t know how to pray.” But God’s Word gives us the answer to that problem. Romans 8:26-27, “Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray as we ought, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words. And He who searches the whole heart knows what is the mind of the Spirit because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God.”
Most of the time when we are seeking answers to our prayers; we can find the answers in the biblical principles from God’s Word which have been revealed to us by the Holy Spirit. Spending time in meditative prayer is one way for the Spirit to reveal this to us.
Today in Prayer
- Pray for the leaders of our country – political, economical, and spiritual.
- Pray that C2, personally and corporately, abandon ourselves to live lives that reflect the love and holiness of God to the world around us, no matter what that looks like. Praying that we fully use the gifts we’ve been given by the Spirit for the sake of the Kingdom.
- Pray that C2 would, personally and corporately, see everyone with the same love and compassion as Jesus does. Pray or those who don’t know Jesus, who are struggling with sin without the Hope of a Redemptive Savior who loves them and gave His life for them. Pra for the opportunity for us both PERSONALLY and CORPORATELY to be a witness to them. That they aren’t able to go through a day without hearing/seeing the truth of God (reflect on those who face evils around the world that you prayed for yesterday).
- Pray for those who persecute us (full or partial).
- That C2, personally and corporately, would be known for our generosity, our compassion and our desire to be a part of our community. That we would be missional and realize that our mission field is all around us, to see it and act on it rather than just talk about it. To live out our mission statement rather than just quote it.
- Pray for those that are struggling with short-term and long-term diagnosis of physical and emotional illness.